Sunday, September 11, 2011

ten years.

It is so hard to believe this happened 10 years ago today. 
I guess that means my 10 year high school reunion is coming up. Yep that is right, I heard about the attack on our nation as I walked into my A-hour social studies class (late as usual). They had
 a TV set up in there and they were watching the news. This is embarrassing to admit, but when they said "someone flew a plane into The Worlds Trade Center" I said, "what is that." I had no idea what those buildings were. I had ever been to New York and had never heard of them. 
At that time I was very concerned about the implications of the attack and what it would mean for our country. I don't think I could quite wrap my head around the numbers of the lives affected by the attack (or at least I didn't). A few years ago I read the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. While the book isn't about 9-11 it is about some people who were affected by it. After I finished the book I looked up some footage of 9-11 and stayed up late into the night with tear stained cheeks. It finally hit me how sad this day was. Each year it seems to sink in deeper. My heart goes out to those who lost their loved ones and all those who had to witness first hand such traumatic events. 

I will never forget. I was eighteen, wearing a white tee and overalls, and I didn't get it.

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better I didn't know what the world trade centers were either. Actually, I vaguely remembered them, but it didn't register to me what was going on exactly.

    I really can't believe you were a senior in high school and I was a freshman in college. I seriously keep thinking you're 2 years old than me. ha ha probably because you have 3 kids and you're so awesome :). Not that you can't be awesome and younger than me....oh never mind. You know what I mean.

    ....right?

    I'm glad you flew your flag. We hung ours from the railing on our stairs and I was sad to see that ours was the only flag in the whole complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when I finish posting my 9/11 blog post I look and see your 9/11 post. It is nice to think you were typing and thinking about the same thing I was at the same time. We must be sisters or something.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...