Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I need help


On my other blog I posted about tiny miracles and one of them was the message that my visiting teacher chose to bring me. It was what I needed to hear. It was a talk given by a woman named Carolyn J. Rasmus and it is called "The Enabling Power of the Atonement: Bask in His Life-Giving Light" and if you would like you can read it here.

While the whole talk was good there were two quotes that stood out to me:

1. "I suspect [we] are much more familiar with the nature of the redeeming power of the atonement than we are with the enabling power of the Atonement...I frankly do not think many of us "get it" concerning this enabling and strengthening power of the Atonement, and I wonder if we mistakenly believe we must make the journey from good to better and become a saint all by ourselves, through sheer grit, willpower, and discipline, and with our obviously limited capacities." - David A. Bednar

Well, I am starting to "get it" and I am grateful for another year to come along so I can continue this journey from good to better...and not alone.

2. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. . . . Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27).
"I submit to you that may be one of the Savior's commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord's merciful heart....In [this] same spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands." -
Jeffery R. Holland

This is something that I am determined to work on and believe me I have already started. It brings me so much comfort to know that although terrible things are happening in this world I can have peace...and not the worlds peace.

So, I have help and I am going to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...