Friday, February 29, 2008

What is with our world?

Today when I was checking my email I looked on the homepage for Yahoo (which I hardly ever do, but Russ ALWAYS does) and saw a list of today's top searches. Here they are with my reaction following:
1. Prince Harry - really? Why?
2. Carly Simon - I think she is a musician, but I am not sure why everyone is looking her up.
3. McSkillet Burrito - Is this for real? Do they know they can't eat it by looking it up on the Internet?
4. Boyd Coddington - Who?
5. Airstream Trailers - Whatever.
6. Leap Day - this makes sense.
7. Boy George - Seriously?
8. Kwame Kilpatric - Who is this?
9. Lasagna recipes - that's funny, I am making Lasagna tonight. But I already have the recipe.
10. Hepatitis C - I hope that not everyone looking this up has Hepatitis C.
This post may reveal how little I know about what is going on in our world today, but from the looks of it I am proud of that. This list does not include the celebrities that were looked up, there is a whole other list for that. While I was reading during my plasma donation yesterday in a book called Tuesdays With Morrey, there was a paragraph that I really loved.

"people scooped up these tabloids, devoured their gossip, and on a previous trip to England, I had always done the same. But now, for some reason, I found myself thinking about Morrie whenever I read something silly or mindless. I kept picturing him there, in his house with the Japanese maple and the hard wood floors, counting his breath, squeezing out every moment with his loved ones, while I spent so many hours on things that meant absolutely nothing to me personally: movie stars, supermodels... Why did we bother with all the distractions we did? Back home the O.J. Simpson trial was in full swing, and there were people who surrendered their entire lunch hours watching it, then taping the rest so they could watch more at night. They didn't know O.J. Simpson. They didn't know anyone involved in the case. Yet they gave up days and weeks of their lives , addicted to someone else's drama.
I remembers what Morrie said during our visit: "the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."

Well ladies and gents, I am not buying it. I have already cut out pretty much all TV. I quit Oprah a long time ago. I don't read gossip magazines, or any magazines that aren't about crafts and decorating. I don't want to waist any of my precious time on things that really don't mean anything to me. But, I do love blogs because I get to keep in touch with and "talk" to people that do mean so much to me.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny - I have seen those lists and think the same thing... "really??"

    Loved that quote out of the book. It is a really good read - although it's been several years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...