Thursday, March 1, 2012

On Sunday we had our New Beginnings. That's where we have any girls that will be coming into Young Women's this year come and learn about Young Women's. We also talk about what we're going to be doing this year and try and  set some goals. This years mutual theme is "Arise and shine forth that thy light may be a standard to the nations'' D&C 115:5.


 I knew my friend Lauren's huge light bulbs (that she so graciously loaned me) would be perfect to use for a decoration and I also knew (because of her instagrams) that this other gal had a collection of globes that she so willingly let us borrow. Isn't that awesome.
Add Angela's amazing lettering skills combined with a chalkboard marker (found at Hobby Lobby) and you got some awesome decorations.


Jessica, Angela, and I all took turns talking about the light of Christ: how to get in our lives and how to share it with others. We used the idea of nations as a way to lead into our Young Women in Excellence that will be at the end of the year, which will be a world's fair. We are going to encourage the girls to learn about their ancestors and where they came from so that at the worlds fair we can share what we have learned with each other. 


We used the same boxes and ties that we used for Angela's baby shower and made a picnic lunch. That made it easy because we could  prepare it all beforehand. We set it up quickly and had New Beginnings during our Young Woman's hour of church. 





 I also made a little book for the girls made out of a bunch of different shapes of scrapbook paper and envelope (for photos and notes) all sewn together. It is for collecting information about their ancestors and where they've come from. 
I was pretty proud of myself for the hand lettering I did on the front. I am really trying to improve my handwriting skills.
 The whole thing turned out lovely and, as usual, it end up strengthening my testimony on the light of Christ and how it can shine in us.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is amazing. I love those darling boxed lunches tied up with a ribbon. Anyone who can write like that in chalk is very talented.

    I didn't grow up in the Church so I always think I missed out on such a great program. RS is awesome, but YM seems so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YW is very special. I doubt there is a youth program anywhere that beats it. Maybe you will get a chance to be a part of it as a leader someday:)

      Delete
  2. When I see people do amazing things like this, I think, And that's why I'll probably never have a calling like that. :) I've been a secretary in some auxiliary in the church for most of my adult life. Surprising, I know.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...